Monday, March 25, 2013

Project 5--Continued....

Part 2:

 For my own crowdsourcing project, I thought about my hobbies and what was already out there in relation to those hobbies.  There are plenty of quilt circles, and swaps where someone adds a block to a quilt.  Besides, I don't quilt, but I love to sew, and I thought doing something related to fabric would be a good idea.  I have heard of people collecting fabric squares from people to create a quilt, but I wanted to do this on a bigger scale. I know for me, I get inspired when I see fabric; I can see the kind of projects I could make from it, and have made stops at fabric stores on trips, so I do have some pieces that can tell stories.  My project would be to have people send in squares of fabric so I could make a giant blanket for an art exhibit. I would ask people to not just send in fabric they bought (although they could if it was from a special trip), but fabric from things that mean something to them.  On my homepage, I used the example of a piece of a wedding dress, a sweater, or a tie.  I also said that fabric binds us, because we all wear clothes, and most of the time, it is more than just an outfit we are wearing:  we tie meanings and memories to clothing and fabric.  If I really did this--which I know I would never have time to do this--I would want to make it as big as I could, so it would be big enough to cover the ceiling and walls of an entire room, then cut it up afterwards to make blankets for charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment